Monday, February 26, 2007

Porterhouse in So. Norwalk: Best Restaurant in Fairfield County - I HIGHLY DISAGREE - Porterhouse in SONO is average and it will cost you a fortune.

So, I'm reviewing the Website for www.fairfieldweekly.com and their annual Reader's Poll and I come across http://66.51.169.160/best.cfm?pid=27&plid=9 which lists the overall best restaurant as Porterhouse in Southern Norwalk. I'm always skeptical when a steak place that's note Ruth's, Morton's, etc is considered to be a good choice but this one is not only listed ahead of these places but it is listed as the best restaurant in Fairfield County.

My wife and I now have a baby so not only do we have limited times to go out, but its also more expensive (i.e. cost of the babysitter) and, you almost feel guily when you spend so much on dinner when you could be putting money away in your 529 plan. BUT, this restaurant is listed as the BEST IN FAIRFIELD COUNTY so how do we not try it.

http://www.porterhouserestaurant.com/menu.htm

Off we go with high expectations.
The restaurant was OK. If my total bill for drinks, dinner, and desert was $125 or below and if it was not listed as the best restaurant in Fairfield County, I wouldn't be writing but....

1. They brag about dry aged steak yet they coated my porterhouse with some type of glaze that overpowered everthing. Here was the menu item:

18 day dry aged beef PORTERHOUSE $41 Frizzled onions, crispy spinach and tamarind barbecue sauce

THE BBQ sauce is un-necessary if you are going to brag about your beef.

2. My wife's and my buddy's girl's drink seem to contain virtually no alcohol (and both were martini's somehow - I guess they figured that they'd sub in fruity juice and sour mixes for actual alcohol). Yes, they did comp us the drink that was worthless but, if you are going to be a top-notch restaurant - please make it good the first time.

3. Lobster cocktail - this was good BUT it was coated (and I mean coated) in some type of Aioli that is also un-necessary. The cocktail sauce was good - leave it at that. AND - there is no mention on the menu that the lobster was buried in an Aioli. At least give me a chance to say no thank you.

4. Aged Vermont cheddar, Parmesan and Gouda poppers $8
These were good. They were kind of like adult mozzeralla sticks but I thought poppers were supposed to have some type of pepper in them to spice them up. No such luck. And, only 3 of them so we couldn't even split them evenly at the table across our party of 4.

5. My friends got the Chateaubriand for Two. It seemed very good. I'd give that decent marks.

Deserts were solid but not spectacular.

Overall, the restaurant was a B. The food was decent but far from great and they did not meet my expectations.

This is my first post. Many people consider me somewhat of a restaurant guru so enjoy the Blog. Hope you like it.
Cheers!

No comments: